In the doom and gloom of covid-19, I’m looking to Easter to provide a bit of joy so I’ve made these vanilla cupcakes and decorated them with mini eggs as an easter treat.
These simple vanilla cupcakes are really easy to make, you just throw all the ingredients into the bowl and mix it all up. I like to use an electric whisk which I find quicker and easier, but a normal wooden spoon would work fine too. Here, I kept it simple by making them vanilla flavoured but you could add some cocoa powder for a chocolate version or you could add some coffee or caramel flavouring if you wanted something a bit more exciting. If you don’t fancy cupcakes, why not try my chocolate Easter nests instead?
Wait until the cupcakes have completely cooled before you decorate – if the cakes are still warm, the buttercream will melt. About an hour should be long enough to let them cool before you get started. Piping is the fun part, but try not to eat all of the mini eggs while you decorate. Save some for the topping!
Keep scrolling for the recipe!
Vanilla Cupcakes – The Recipe
For the cupcakes:
175g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
150g unsalted butter (softened)
250g icing sugar
50g cocoa powder
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mini eggs and Creme Eggs to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade and line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases
- Mix together all of the ingredients using an electric whisk until combined. Don’t overmix it.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases (just over half full) and bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack before decorating
- Add the butter, icing sugar, cocoa and vanilla to a bowl and mix using an electric whisk on a low setting for five minutes until light and fluffy. Add the milk if you need to loosen the mixture up.
- Fill a piping bag with your buttercream mixture and pipe onto the top of the cooled cakes.
- Top with mini eggs or Creme Eggs
What’s your favourite cupcake flavour?
AD – Please note that this page contains affiliate links where I earn a small amount of money per click. This doesn’t cost you anything but you can find out more about affiliate links on my disclaimer.