You can’t beat a classic chocolate cake for a spot of afternoon baking and I wanted to share my recipe for a mini egg chocolate cake. This is a perfect Easter recipe but you can decorate it with any chocolate you’ve got in the cupboard.
I made this a three tiered cake and just divided up the mix into three tins – I used the Wilton set of tins which are slightly smaller but with three tiers it gives the cake some good height. I sometimes find a large, wider cake a bit too overwhelming.
Keep scrolling for the recipe!
Mini Egg Chocolate Cake – The Recipe
175g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
25g cocoa powder
200g caster sugar
200g butter (softened)
3 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp milk
- Start by melting the chocolate, butter and golden syrup in a bowl over a pan of simmering water
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and stir in the shredded wheat until fully covered
- Add the chocolate chips and mix well
- Line a muffin tray with 6 cupcake cases and divide the mixture between them, making a small well in the middle of each nest
- Put three mini eggs into the well of each nest and
- Put the nests into the fridge to set for an hour before enjoying!
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade and grease three cake tins with butter
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside
- Start by creaming the butter and sugar together in a bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs to the mix and a little bit of the flour.
- Add the rest of the flour and fold together until incorporated. Add the milk to loosen the consistency as needed.
- Divide the mixture equally between the three tins and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Leave the cakes to cool in their tins for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Let the cakes cool completely before icing.
- Spread a generous layer of chocolate icing invetween each cake and sandwich together. Spread the remaining icing on top of the cake and round the outside.
- Decorate using the mini eggs!