A really good carrot cake that’s light and fluffy can be hard to come by but I’ve perfected the recipe to share with you. Rather than creating one large cake, I like to serve carrot cake cupcakes which are easier to share; you won’t be able to resist them.
The recipe is really easy to make; here I mix my wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls and then add it all together. I like to hand grate my carrot but you can use a food processor for this or even buy grated carrot from the supermarket. It might seem like a lot of carrot but it is a carrot cake after all! You can add some chopped nuts into the cake mix, walnuts go really well with these cupcakes or some raisins if you wanted to. The oil is really important as it keeps the cake moist and light
Cream cheese is the classic pairing with carrot cake, I use Philadelphia to make mine but any cream cheese will work. It’s important that its the full fat version, otherwise it won’t hold it’s shape and it will run all over your beautiful cupcakes.
Keep scrolling for the recipe!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes – The Recipe
275g light muscovado sugar
200ml sunflower oil
4 medium size free-range eggs
200g grated carrot
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
For the cream cheese frosting:
125g unsalted butter (softened)
125g cream cheese (full fat)
1 tsp vanilla extract
275g icing sugar
12 sugar paste carrots to decorate
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with muffin cases
- Beat together the sugar, oil and eggs until smooth and stir in the grated carrot
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and the spices
- Tip the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until combined
- Fill the muffin cases until they’re two thirds full and bake for 25 minutes
- Using an electric whisk, mix together the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and icing sugar until light and airy
- Add the mixture to a piping bag and pipe on top of the cooled cupcakes
- Decorate with the sugar paste carrots
If you like this, try out my Coffee & Walnut cake!
AD – Please note that this page contains affiliate links where I earn a small amount of money per click. This doesn’t cost you anything but you can find out more about affiliate links on my disclaimer.