Chocolate cupcakes are a classic favourite and this recipe is perfect for a bonfire party or even just a casual Tuesday!
You can use MatchMakers for the bonfire on top of the cupcakes but a Cadburys flake would work well too. Just prop them up against each other and use the icing as a kind of cement to hold it all together.
Keep scrolling for the recipe!
Bonfire Cupcakes – The Recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cakes:
40g Cocoa Powder
4tbsp Boiling Water
165g Caster Sugar
115g Self-Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
For the icing:
250g Icing Sugar
2 tbsp Milk
Red, Yellow & Orange Food Colouring
Orange flavoured Matchmakers, to decorate
- Start by preheating the oven to 200 degrees centigrade
- Line a muffin tray with paper cases
- Put the cocoa powder in a large bowl and add the boiling water, to make a paste
- Add the remaining cake ingredients and mix well
- Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases and bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack
- Sift the icing sugar and stir in the butter to make the buttercream. Add milk to loosen the mix if it’s too thick.
- Divide the icing equally into three bowls and add a few drops of food colouring to each bowl. Mix well.
- Pop your icing into piping bags and decorate away!
- Use the Matchmakers to create a bonfire effect.
AD – Please note that this page contains affiliate links where I earn a small amount of money per click. This doesn’t cost you anything but you can find out more about affiliate links on my disclaimer.