Risotto is one of my ultimate comfort foods, its really warm and comforting and perfect for the transition to Autumn where I’m digging out all of my cosy knits and starting to light all of my candles in the darker evenings.
I wanted to share this super easy butternut squash recipe with you and it’s got the added bonus of being Vegan! This risotto recipe does include white wine but there are some vegan friendly wines out there that you can use.
The best bit is roasting the butternut squash because you can use this for soups and pasta sauces too. I normally find butternut squash can be quite fiddly to peel and chop so it’s much easier to just chop the whole thing in half and roast. Then you just scoop out the flesh. Simples!
Keep scrolling for the recipe!
Butternut Squash Risotto – The Recipe
1 large butternut squash
Glug of olive oil
1 tsp dried sage
1 litre vegetable stock
1 onion, diced
300g risotto rice
1 glass of white wine (vegan friendly)
- Start by preheating the oven to 200 degrees centigrade
- Chop the butternut squash in half (lengthways) and scoop out the seeds
- Put the two halves in a ovenproof dish and drizzle with a generous glut of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the butternut squash in the oven for an hour
- When the butternut squash is done, take it out of the oven and leave it to cool for 5 minutes so it is cool enough to handle.
- Scoop out the flesh of the butternut squash and set aside. You can use this for soups and pasta recipes too!
- Fry the onion in olive oil on a medium to high heat to soften for five minutes then add the risotto rice to soak up any remaining juices
- Add the white wine to the rice and stir until the white wine has evapourated
- Slowly add the vegetable stock a little bit at a time and stir the risotto over a low heat until the rice soaks up all of the liquid and is al-dente
- The risotto should be creamy and saucey when it’s ready, add the butternut squash and mix well
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds or your favourite nuts and seeds to serve!
AD – Please note that this page contains affiliate links where I earn a small amount of money per click. This doesn’t cost you anything but you can find out more about affiliate links on my disclaimer.