In the recent summer heatwave, I’ve been reaching for some much needed refreshment and I wanted to share my favourite summer drink to quench a thirst on a hot summers day. Seriously, its so refreshing.
I first tried a Hugo on holiday in Venice, northern Italy, where it is typically served as a pre dinner drink and it’s now become my holiday drink of choice every time I return to Italy. I’ve never been a fan of Aperol …
The Hugo cocktail mixes Prosecco with secret ingredient elderflower making a super fresh and summery drink. Add in some fresh mint and sliced apple and it’s almost like you’re sitting in summery Venice! The sparkling water makes the drink a bit longer and more of a thirst quencher. This version adds wedges of lime but I’ve also had Hugo’s before with slices of apple and this is so refreshing.
Keep reading for the recipe.
Hugo – the recipe:
A handful of ice
3 tablespoons of elderflower syrup
Sprigs of mint
A wedge of lime
- Start by half filling a large, balloon glass with ice. If you don’t have balloon glasses, a wine glass works well too.
- Add the elderflower cordial to the bottom of the glass
- Add the sliced apple / lime wedges and the sprigs of fresh mint
- Fill the glass half full with prosecco
- Top it up with sparkling water
- Give it a good stir to mix in the elderflower at the bottom
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
AD – Please note that this page contains affiliate links where I earn a small amount of money per click. This doesn’t cost you anything but you can find out more about affiliate links on my disclaimer.