Cheesy potato skins are one of my favourite snacks and they’re perfect for this time of year when it’s cold and dark outside and you fancy something super easy and comforting to eat.
These are a great snack but also work well as a starter or as canapés for a dinner party. The potatoes are deliciously crispy on the outside and soft and cheesy on the inside. I make these using the microwave because it’s nice and quick and finish them off in a hot oven so the skin gets nice and crispy. Serve them with a dollop of sour cream on top or on the side, perfect for dipping!
Cheesy Potato Skins – the recipe:
2 large baking potatoes
150g grated cheese (reserve 50g) for the top
Salt and Pepper
Sour cream (to serve)
Chopped chives (to serve)
- Heat the oven to 220 degrees and prick the potatoes with lots of holes using a fork
- Rub salt all over the potatoes
- Pop the potatoes in the microwave on a high heat for ten minutes and turn them over after five minutes
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the microwave and put them in the oven for ten minutes so that the skin gets crispy
- Once the potato skins are crispy, remove from the oven and cut in half
- Scoop out the potato filling into a separate bowl
- Add the three quarters of the grated cheese and all of the butter to the potato filling and mix well. Season with salt and pepper
- Spoon the cheesy mixture back into the potato skins and top with the remaining grated cheese
- Finish the potato skins by grilling them under a high heat for two minutes to melt the cheese
- Serve with sour cream and chives
AD – Please note that this page contains affiliate links where I earn a small amount of money per click. This doesn’t cost you anything but you can find out more about affiliate links on my disclaimer.